1. Go to http://www.flickr.com/search/advanced/ Scroll down and check the box next to “Only search within Creative Commons-licensed content“. Then search for photos to accompany your story.
2. Once you have found a photo that you like. Click on the photo and then right click. Choose a size for your photo. I like to use Medium. Right click again and “Save image as. . . “. Save the image to your flash drive or to the computer you are using. When you are saving, use a name that will help you identify the picture. This will be useful later in the process.
3. Go to MyBrainshark, an easy online tool to help you put together your digital story. Click “Sign up for free“. Fill in the information and then click “Register“. You will be prompted to choose a Pro Account. We want the free account, so scroll down and then click “No, Thanks. Continue with Free Version“.
4. Click “Upload Content“. Then click “Make a Photo Album“. Click “Upload Photos“. Find the photos that you want to use. Hold the CTRL KEY to choose more than one photo. Click “Next“. Then choose “Click here to record using your microphone“. If the photos are not in the correct order, click “End Recording Session“. Then click “Edit Presentation” which is located in the box on the right-hand side of the video. To change the order of the photos, click “Manage Slides“. Then use the arrow keys to move the photos to their desired position. Once you are satisfied, click “Apply” and “Save“.
5. Click “Record audio”. Then choose “Click here to record using your microphone“. You will be prompted to allow microphone access. Choose “Allow“. Then click “Record“. Begin recording the first part of your story that accompanies the first photo. When you are finished, click “Stop“. Then “Save” the recording. If you want to listen to this recording, click the title of your first photo and choose “Play“. If you are not happy with your recording, simply click “Record” and you will be prompted with “There is existing audio on this slide. Continue?“. Click “Yes” and record again.
Repeat these steps for each picture in your story. Then click “End Recording Session“.
8. When you are done adding photos and recording your story, you can add background music. Click “Background Audio“. Then listen to the samples and choose the one that you like. Then click “Add Selected“. For the volume, you can choose 30 to 40% depending on how loud your recording is. Then click “Apply” and “Save“. On the next page, click “Save” again. Now you can see your digital story.
9. If you are not satisfied with your story, you can always click “Edit Presentation” located in the box next to your video. Then you can edit the photos, the audio or the background audio until you are satisfied with your story.
10. If you want to share your digital story with others, you must click “Make it Active” located in the box next to your video. Then click “Embed/Link” and share it with other people. Send the link for your story to email@example.com if you want to share it with us.